The Lowry House
Since 2005, the Mississippi Heritage Trust has been working to save and restore the Jackson home of Mississippi Governor Robert Lowry and the F.B. Hull family. We are proud to announce that the 11 year restoration project is complete. The Mississippi Landmark home is now MHT’s headquarters and Jackson’s newest event venue. Documented to the 1870s, the house is one of Jackson’s few remaining raised cottages with Greek Revival and Italianate details.
The Lowry House was originally located at 426 Fortification Street, however, in 1914 it was moved to 1053 North Congress Street when that street was extended. After two terms (1882 – 1890) as Governor of Mississippi, Robert Lowry purchased the house for his residence. The Hulls bought the house in 1908 and were responsible for the significant changes that were made after the house was moved. The house had various owners after the Hulls and by 2005, the house was in a sad state of disrepair.
When plans were announced for the expansion of the Baptist Hospital, which included the land on which the Lowry House sat, the cry of alarm went out. Due to the house’s architectural and historical significance, it was determined that it was too important to lose and placed on the Mississippi Heritage Trust’s 10 Most Endangered Historic Places list in 2005
Saving the Lowry House
After the house was placed on the 10 Most list, MHT and Baptist Hospital worked together to find a way to save the house. Baptist generously donated the house to MHT along with a new lot next to the Manship House on North Congress Street. The MHT Board of Trustees decided they would commit to financing the relocation and restoration of the house for use as MHT’s state headquarters.
In December of 2005, MHT received a Community Heritage Preservation Grant Fund from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History to move the house. It was an inspiring day in June of 2007 when the Lowry House was moved up the street and settled on its new foundation. With additional funding from the Community Heritage Preservation Grant Fund, the 1772 Foundation and many friends and supporters, the Mississippi Heritage Trust completed the exterior and interior restoration/renovation of the building in 2017. Ten years and $750,000 saved this once-endangered historic place.